- Friday is PARK(ing) day! Cambridge is hosting 6 temporary parks in parking spaces up and down Mass Ave this Friday Sept. 17, with hoola hooping, bubbles, live chickens, and more! Not-so-baby R (he started big kid daycare this week!) and I will be making a tour of the “parks” on Friday morning on our Xtracycle. Please say “hi” if you spot us! You can see a map of the sites here and a flyer with more info here (this links directly to the .pdf).
- My distaste for personal listening devices is well established, and my relationship with my bare-bones cell-phone is wary at best (it feels like yet another thing to take care of and remember. Just e-mail or call my land line people). But the existence of these apps is the first thing that’s made me actually want a smart phone. Probably not enough to actually fork over cash for one and live with constant distraction 24-7, but wow, would that be nice. Any word from the front lines on how well the MBTA bus timing apps actually work? Any that work better/worse?
- There’s a new peer-to-peer carsharing program, RelayRides, trying to get off the ground in Cambridge. When I checked on it early in the summer, they didn’t actually have any cars available yet. But now there are some in our neighborhood so I signed up. I’m getting tired of that zipcar annual fee for a car access I almost never use (as in, I can’t remember the last time), and like the idea of neighbors sharing cars that are already there, but going unused. We haven’t tried it yet, but I’d love to hear from anyone who has.
Welcome! Places to Start!
Things We Write About
- Best of (20)
- Cambridge and Boston area (28)
- Going and staying carfree (94)
- Links and reviews (33)
- Sustainability and consumerism (21)
- Transportation options (88)
- True Life Stories of the Carfree (7)
Search Our Archives