Smart phones, Park(ing) day and peer-to-peer carsharing

• Friday is PARK(ing) day!  Cambridge is hosting 6 temporary parks in parking spaces up and down Mass Ave this Friday Sept. 17, with hoola hooping, bubbles, live chickens, and more!  Not-so-baby R (he started big kid daycare this week!) and I will be making a tour of the “parks” on Friday morning on our Xtracycle.  Please say “hi” if you spot us!  You can see a map of the sites here and a flyer with more info here (this links directly to the .pdf).
  • My distaste for personal listening devices is well established, and my relationship with my bare-bones cell-phone is wary at best (it feels like yet another thing to take care of and remember.  Just e-mail or call my land line people).  But the existence of these apps is the first thing that’s made me actually want a smart phone.  Probably not enough to actually fork over cash for one and live with constant distraction 24-7, but wow, would that be nice.  Any word from the front lines on how well the MBTA bus timing apps actually work?  Any that work better/worse?
  • There’s a new peer-to-peer carsharing program, RelayRides, trying to get off the ground in Cambridge.  When I checked on it early in the summer, they didn’t actually have any cars available yet.  But now there are some in our neighborhood so I signed up.  I’m getting tired of that zipcar annual fee for a car access I almost never use (as in, I can’t remember the last time), and like the idea of neighbors sharing cars that are already there, but going unused.  We haven’t tried it yet, but I’d love to hear from anyone who has.

[photo credit here]

This entry was posted in Going and staying carfree. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Smart phones, Park(ing) day and peer-to-peer carsharing

1. Amy says:

Dorea- There are some text and call in apps for this bus data. Check the MBTA’s website

Ah, indeed Amy. I scrolled down and there they were! Text apps for getting next bus info on my “dumb phone.” Huh. If this works I might have to start revising my hatred of my phone.

3. mamavee says:

The MBTA app on my iphone is not so great. It just seems to give me alerts if a bus or train is late…. But it doesn’t give you the schedule or even a map of any of the lines. Actually the Google map part of the phone is the better choice. You can put in two locations for directions and there is a public transpo option and it will give you bus routes and times and even a few time options. I used it to get from Newton to Needham and it worked really well. But for long trips I plan it out online first and print it out. Or use the phone check the MBTA site and have a list of times ready to see on my return trip…

4. BJ Larson says:

This looks great! Good for the organizers… unfortunately, since I work in Arlington, I will probably drive over to see them…

5. Fede says:

Hello!
    Here is an idea.
    Why dont you start the following websites:
    refrigerator free with kids, heating free with kids, or living in the desert with kids.
    You get the idea.
    Check out this book:
    The Authenticity Hoax.

6. 2whls3spds says:

I primarily use the Google Maps Ap on my Crackberry. But when in Boston I am a tourist (please don’t shoot me I am NOT in season LOL) My son lives in Somerville and says the NextBus SMS is the one he uses, but you need to know your route and stop number!

Aaron